It is said when we indulge in quiet reflection we more often regret actions we haven’t taken opposed to things we have done. When it comes to networking there are certain moments when perhaps you and I should have taken that extra step but didn’t. Here are some thoughts to ensure the next time you pull out …you don’t!
Bear this in mind the next time you don’t
- Approach someone standing alone
- Approach an ‘open’ group to meet more people
- Move on when the conversation is over
- Move on from a group where you have no interest
- Ask probing and intelligent
- Ask about the relationship with their existing advisors
- Ask for their card to follow up
- Ask permission to call them after an event
- Make that first follow up call
- Make that 2nd and 3rd follow up call
Don’t think of sales or selling when doing your business development. Think, when you have knowledge, experience and expertise which adds to a prospect’s business it is your duty to develop their business by matching their needs with your offerings
Regret 9 – Not making that first follow up call.
My guess is the biggest regret of all is not making the call having met someone where there might be business. Why don’t people call? It’s the usual ‘fear of rejection. ‘They won’t remember me’ ‘they were just being polite’ ‘what am I going to say?’ But stop and think.
- You met and probably go on well
- It is not a cold call you are just continuing the conversation
- You asked to call and they gave you permission
- They are expecting your call
- The consequences of not calling where they were wanting to hear from you is serious. You’re damaging your brand and they will think you’re not reliable and trustworthy
Next week: Regret 10 – Not making that 2nd and 3rd follow up call…