Fear is temporary; regret is permanent – 10 possible networking regrets. (part 2)

Fear is temporary; regret is permanent- 10 possible networking regrets.

It is said when we indulge in quiet reflection we more often regret actions we haven’t taken opposed to things we have done. When it comes to networking there are certain moments when perhaps you and I should have taken that extra step but didn’t. Here are some thoughts to ensure the next time you pull out …you don’t!

Bear this in mind the next time you don’t

  1. Approach someone standing alone
  2. Approach an ‘open’ group to meet more people
  3. Move on when the conversation is over
  4. Move on from a group where you have no interest
  5. Ask probing and intelligent
  6. Ask about the relationship with their existing advisors
  7. Ask for their card to  follow up
  8. Ask permission to call them after an event
  9. Make that first follow up call

10. Make that 2nd and 3rd follow up call

Don’t think of sales or selling when doing your business development. Think, when you have knowledge, experience and expertise which adds to a prospect’s business it is your duty to develop their business by matching their needs with your offerings

Regret 2. Not joining an ‘open’ group to meet more people

Groups of 2’s and 3’ stand in open and closed format. Find a group where they are open; approach and catch someone’s eye and ask to join them. Ensure as you’re saying that, you give eye contact to each as they will be thinking ‘I am being spoken to’. 99.99 % of the time you will be welcomed in. And the other 0.01%? Well it might just happen they are having a confidential conversation or finishing an anecdote and they ignore you. That is the very worst experience you are going to have. Take a deep breath, excuse yourself and move off. And you now what? Virtually every time as you step back you will receive an apology and you will be welcomed back.

When you don’t approach that person on their own or a group you don’t know you will either stand on your own the whole time or just stay with the people you already know. There’s nothing wrong reinforcing relationships but it shouldn’t be to the exclusion of making new contacts

Next week we’ll look at Regret 3: Not moving on when the conversation is over.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Email a friend

To email this page to a friend or colleague, please complete the details below: