Step-by-step guide on how to move forward.
You see that lady over there? It says Betty on her name badge.
She is waiting for you to talk to her. Here is what you should do:
- Walk over slowly, remember she is nervous and knows no-one – that’s why she is alone.
- Stop about one metre away and smile…don’t forget the smile. Ask if you can join her. You may want to use the words, ‘Please may I join you’ or any other opening phrase which you feel comfortable with.
- Shake hands firmly with good eye contact.
- SHE WILL NOT SAY NO. In fact she will give you a big mental hug. Don’t expect a real one, it’s too soon!
- Introduce yourself with your name, your first name only. They generally give their first name only and when you listen and I mean truly listen you hear their name and then use it once or twice. If someone you know comes over it will be easy to introduce them to each other with no embarrassment.
- Then ask the ice-breaker and off you go. The ice-breaker is something you have in common at that event.
It sounds simple, and it is.