There are nice people and not so nice people when we attend events. I guess everywhere we go that is the same. However, when we attend business events we often sacrifice personal time as a result extend our ‘work’ time. I think the biggest wrongdoing when we go networking is wasting time. Time- our most valuable asset which can never be replaced after we’ve expended it. So, it ‘s a shame when we meet the ‘beasts’ at business events.
Most people I meet are, whilst not obvious beauties, are at least friendly pleasant and polite but as ever there are always exceptions.
Let me share my thoughts on who I see as beauties and those who behave like beasts.
The beauty will
· smile, give good eye contact and remember our name after you have spoken it
· ask you about you, what you do, how you got to where you’ve got and what plans you have for your future.
· play ‘host’ even if they are a guest. If they see someone alone they will invite them to join and generally be inclusive.
· let the other person do most of the talking
· be a good listener and encourage others to talk about themselves
The beast will
· think attending events is wonderful opportunity to sell their service and their company before they build the relationship
· want to talk and talk about themselves showing little or no interest in you
· start looking over your shoulder when they decide you’re no use to them
· follow up even though you have shown no interest in their service or product
· not understand personal space and stay just too close
Blog by Will…