The 3 steps to building relationships
Getting People to like us
- Establish a positive impression from the start
- Be friendly, courteous, polite and respectful
- Find a common subject
- Show genuine interest by asking about themselves
- Talk less, listen more
- Share valuable information
- Be self-deprecating and show your vulnerability
- Be aware of your body language and gestures.
- When in doubt, say nowt!
No. 10 Be kind. Say kind words; do kind deeds.
“HELP “ Questions
Is there anyone you would like an introduction to?
What particular type of person/business would be a good referral for you?
I know someone who (a) can help you with…. (b) knows about…. (c) may be interested in….
Why don’t I make the introduction?
Offer specific help
Who do you know who (a) knows about, (b) works at, (c) can tell me about, (d) is looking for a job in, (e) supplies, (f) owns, (g) sells, (h) might want to buy, (i) is looking to work in?
Please can you help me?
Please can you give me some advice about…..?
If you were me, how would you go about…..?
Asking for help is a strength and not a weakness. When people know, like and trust you and you ask them for help, they will do their very best for you. AND you will do your best for them surely when they ask you?
How to Build Trust
- Be reliable
- Do what you say you’re going to do
- Do it when you say you’re going to do it
Your network doesn’t know how technically capable you are; they do know if they can trust you or not by actioning the above.
Know, like trust through the lens!
If you’re not ‘in the room’ you are ‘on the Zoom’ ( or similar) meaning you’re on TV!
When communicating…ensure you
- Prepare & plan (timings, agenda, outcomes)
- Look professional…you can’t hide!
- Look into the camera
- Dress appropriately
- Have a professional background
- Project with energy
- Consider standing up ( if presenting)
- Avoid distractions ( advance warnings)
- Have the right lighting
- Have your sound right
- Look like you are enjoying yourself!